2011-03-25

iPad 2 enthusiast warning: Do not buy! Keep iPad 1

I just had the chance to buy an iPad 2 but before I actually said yes I wanted to test my number 1 features that I use.

1) iBooks -> application is slow on iPad 2, almost the same as on iPad 1

I really hoped for a big surprise there (I have 600 epubs and 1300 pdfs on it) mostly Cisco, Infoblox, Infovista et. al. manuals release notes etc.

It's still a drag and pdf annotations that I miss are also not present, i.e. it was clear since the iBooks is independent of iPad versions.

2) camera sucks, the quality is just awful (it's definitely good enough for facetime)

But I want some crisp snappy pictures and videos, but it is just not good.

3) no display improvement. I read a lot of books on the iPad and many times I believe that I have to clean the screen but then I realize it is the iBooks application that renders sometimes the characters less than optimal. Maybe it's on the application.

Still, buy the iPad 2 if you don't have an iPad and you want to use Apple TV 2 with AirPlay, which is now just awesome, since AirVideo can stream while in the background!

It is disappointing from Apple not to be able to really improve and use their muscle to advance the technology, this time the only play catch up. From what I can see the new Galaxy 10.1 is most probably the best, but the software is lacking.

No comments: