2016-04-20

Apple iCloud Photo Library Rants: Really bad if you have 80'000 photos and a 16GB iPad mini

Summary:

  • iCloud Photo Library fills your 16GB iPad mini and renders it almost unusable.
  • During the first few hours your iPad might be sweating a lot and it feels like an original iPad 2
Workaround:
  • use Safari https://icloud.com (but request desktop site mandatory)
Plea to Apple:
  • Fix the Photos app not to fill out all the storage on the device, while allowing me to access everything but implement clever caching. Google Photos is quite clever and does not use more than 660 MB in my case.
Story:


I love i Cloud Photo Library and yes I would prefer to pay less for the 1TB Storage I subscribed to just recently.

The product is quite useful, except if you own a 16GB iPad mini and have a huge number of photos, videos etc. In my case 80'000.

After enabling it the iPad will, even with the optimized storage setting, fill all available space -15 MB.

Any kind of application that you try to install will not work (most of the applications are bigger than the 15 MB available).

Now you think you are clever and search frantically some applications to delete or delete data (which is cumbersome since some  iOS release removed the convenient delete data under the storage settings page), but heck the free space is immediately filled with more photos/videos. 15 MB is all I got and I get many times the low free space error message.

I gave up, I won't even try to find a solution. I removed iCloud Photo Library setting and use Google Photos, that I also use to back up all my photos. That one does not fill my iPad mini as fast and I can still make use of it.

Also I tried to make use Google Chrome (forcing request desktop site) and it seemed to work just nicely, but the tab on Chrome 50 crashes frequently.

No comments: