2016-06-21

iPad Pro 12.9": The new corporate work horse? Part 1 of a series of snippets about life with a Pro.

Using an iPad Pro 12.9" as a laptop replacement

You would think that it is a terribly bad idea to use an iPad Pro for a real life replacement of a corporate laptop?

I think you are right.

But, the iPad pro has its own merits that compensate other shortcommings. But there are boat loads of missing features and you need to find many workarounds.

So how does the setup look like?



That's it.

iPad Pro 12.9" 128 GB SSD
Apple Magic Keyboard
Apple Pencil
Citrix X1 Mouse
iPod ;))

What is the number one thing wrong with the iPad?

Definitely a missing kickstand.

Almost in all situations you would immediately benefit from the ability to just place the iPad at multiple angles. Flat surface placement just does not satisfy my and other colleagues need. 
Why not use the smart Keyboard?

Why would I pay so much money for an inferior keyboard, a substandard stand and add a lot of weight that I don't want? 

Compared to the surface pro kickstand nothing compares, no lenovo, no acer. It is just incredible how good it can be positioned without carrying around cases or stands from simple upgright to almost flat down and it's stiff enough to type on the screen. I only wish they would come up with a clever way to use it also vertically. Many times I would want to put the iPad upgright.

There should be some clever guy and do a kickstarter project to design the perfect kickstand accessory for the iPad. Must be lightweight easily attachable and provide horizontal and vertical stand capability. I have seen the HP version of the kickstand and though I don't really like it maybe the solution is to add some kind of frame. Most importantly also should stick to surfaces and not be easily moved.

So what do I do?

I use the Apple pencil case for multiple positions and keep the iPad in position by placing the magic keyboard in front of it. I even can use the iPad on the airplane with only the keyboard securing the iPad against the front seat. I know it is stupid that there is no built-in kickstand, but hey, you have to make do.


Here is a picture of the iPad with the Apple pencil case in it's 2nd position.


No comments: