2022-07-20

draw.io: I wish I had found out this before: Triangle flat at the bottom with horizontal text as you'd expect

 Oh, my god.

I love draw.io. It's magnificent. Kind a like my love for freemind, that deteriorated after a few years of usage ;(

It is superb, but the user interface makes it damn complicated to achieve what I want. I fail many many times to do the correct thing and give up, doing some kind of workaround. Also getting a lot of times frustrated that it is not easier to use for my purposes (default settings chaning, libraries not loading, rounded corners not really ok for me, color selection to damn hard for me and many many more things)

But one thing that bothered me a lot is the triangle shape.




By default it is laying on its side with the horizontal text. And I definitely spent way too much time trying to find out how I can just rotate the shape and use it with the flat side on the bottom and having the text horizontally left to right. 

I failed every time and always just added another text field and grouped the shapes together. But today I was on the verge to open an issue as I was fed up with this thing, as for me a triangle is supposed to be from the start flat at the bottom with text going horizontally from left to right and I attempted to modify the shape without success.

So I started to actually open a feature request, or lets say I was on the verge of opening, spending already 10 minutes formulating the proper text on their github site. And since I am growing older and don't want to look stupid every so often by asking stupind questions, either by some mistery no one else would have the same issue or when I try to explain the issue to someone it actually works during my demonstration, so I do it again and yes it does the murky thing when rotating the object that the text is vertical and if you press the vertical button it is horizontal but upside down ;(

Ok, before continuing I think I have to go into the properties of the shape, as they have a gazillion properties that I really do not understand and do not find out what they all mean, I mean, I have been following them and going through the trainings available and the snippets on the their blog, but I still don't know (almost) nothing, so I go to them and I find one setting, it was the eighth from the top, my bad, and it says direction. First I was unsuccessful, as I had rotated the traingle manually into the position I wanted but then I started with a fresh triangle and selected north. It is now what I want it to be, done.

And just to be sure I then also changed the direction on the previous triangles and rotated them back and voila. Everything as it should be. Possible spent a few hours just and my brain hurt a lot because I just could not understand why they not just added a simple triangle with the flat side on the bottom in the gallery for me to use and life would have been good.

So if someone else is having trouble just use the standard shape and change the direction to north and you're good to go.

PS: My brain does not yet give up completely. It's nagging me to open a b..... feature request for them to just add that triangle to same me a lot of hassle in the future, as nearly all my triangles are always bottom flat.

Draw.io or whatever they wanna call it today for whatever reasons rocks, is an absolut marvel, but damn hard to use for certain things, that you have been doing with other software for years without thinking. 


No comments: