2011-04-27

iPad 2 - Wow what a feeling - Smart Cover complete failure

The new iPad 2 is great, go buy it. (If you need one in the first place and can live with a lot of shortcomings, like camera.)

But the real issue here is the Smart Cover, Don't Buy!!!!

Only slowly are some reviews coming in that the Smart Cover is a design failure. I am a huge fan of the original iPad Cover.

I'm thinking about bringing it back. Just today I read on macnotes.de a review where they give it a 2.5 out of 5. In my experience (24 hours) it is even worse.

As many people noted you'll have already black spots appearing on the hinges, the cover is not easy to attach, can also only be attached to one side. All of those things are not really bad but the worst is that you cannot work with it and you cannot put your iPad anywhere.

If you want to hold it with 1 hand and read from it; using your left hand; cover does not stick to the iPad but falls back (magnet is not strong enough). Also the cover moves around.

Right hand; the cover is longer than the ipad itself, so you cannot really hold it tight; you can move it back but then the hinges on the left side move back and the cover itself bulges. I almost dropped the iPad twice.

Right hand 2nd; fold back last part of the cover and try to hold it, no magnet keeps it in place.

And since you have nothing on the back you cannot place your iPad on uneven surfaces or it will slide away; workaround always put it down on the smart cover side and it sill stay.

I really think that the cover is a failure and I wish that someone creates a extremely thin transparent sticky cover that, maybe I'll go fo a silicon back. The front is protected enough if a foil is put on and the pad is generally put into a bag for transportation.

I haven't decided yet to bring it back or not. But I've read on other pages that theres a big chance that it will also leave scratches on the iPad.

No comments: