2011-06-07

Update on iPad2 and Smart Cover - $400 to replace

I dropped my iPad2 by accident. I was able to catch it but only got hold of the smart cover and this parted from the iPad2 just as if it was not attached. The iPad hit the floor the smart cover was save in my hands.

The glass of the iPad splintered and I was devastated.

Did I mention that the screen has a backlight bleeding issue and that I wanted to return it? Too late.

I called support, paid around $400 and had a repaired iPad2 within 4 days. Thank good that I had not to pay the full price.

But I blame the smart cover. With my old iPad and the original cover this could not have happened at all.

After that it was clear that the smart cover has to go. I have a case open with Apple because the smart cover scratches the ipad and leaves scratches on metal. The case does not go anywhere, apple refuses to acknowledge that they did a mistake. Just look at the many people complaining. BTW it is right that it might start as early as one or 2 days of using it to start get some black spots.

I was checking out about 30 covers even some really fancy ones from ozaki but in the end I had to admit that I was looking for something only the smart cover can give me.

The only choice left was to buy Belkin snap case that fits nicely, does not add enough weight and is a good by. Apple should have added something like this. It's a little milky, i.e. the back of the iPad2 shows through nicely.

In the last 2 weeks I replaced the belkin case because I already had a crack in on of the corners caused by something I don't even remember.

People protect your iPads.

Also I did not mention that this new iPad2 also has backlight bleeding. I always notice it while watching movies. I though lcd projectors had an issue only with no perfect black.

No comments: