2012-10-26

Windows 8 Pro: run upgrade assistant in Windows 7 compatibility mode

Short: You Windows 8 some version and want to run Windows 8 Upgrade web download, save assistant and set it to Windows 7 compatibility before starting the assistant.

Most of my machines at home run Mac OS X, but I have a quite an old ACER laptop here that I keep in some corner until there's time to test another version of windows. Recently I've been running Windows 8 in different flavors, last one was Windows 8 Enterprise eval.

So today came the offer to upgrade from XP, Vista, Windows 7 to Windows 8 Pro and I chose to do so, since the price seems fair (download price that is). Even though I could not install it up to 5 times as with Mac OS X.

But I could not purchase it, since the upgrade assistant always wanted to make me believe that I cannot buy this in my country/region.

But sometimes the easiest things don't come easily to mind such as saving the assistant and configuring it under the properties to run in windows 7 compatibility mode. And voila, it goes through.

At last I could spend some money on Microsoft products that I have avoided for the last 5 years, but to be fair, my daily work is spent on a company laptop running windows 7 with all of office, i.e. I earn my money working on Windows and I spend the rest of my available time on Mac.

I wish myself a happy installation. Also hope to spend some time with the Office 2013 preview. The only thing missing will be the pen input, but the best in my opinion was/is MotionComputing, but I just could not afford it.

No comments: