2016-10-16

Outdated!!iOS: Modify Video and Photo Date/Time and Location. Don't waste your time and hand over some money to Organizer (Genady Okrain)

Since I'm trying to work only with iOS many tasks are just way to complicated and for some there is no solution.

Especially Photos and Videos in the iOS Photos App or in the browser based version lack a lot of features.

So you have had a few hundred gigabytes of camcorder tapes and recorded them onto disk but did not convert them?

Had to go back to a MAC and use iMovie to convert to mp4. That was done.

(I did not want to spend time and convert the movies on the iPhone or iPad, maybe I'm going to attempt that in the future, but I did not think I could attach my 3.5" USB 2 external drive to the device and directly access and convert ;))

Now I use mac os sierra and everything is on icloud, so the movies got to be uploaded to icloud drive, desktop folder (I know I'm ashamed of it but even I use sometimes the desktop).

Then I opened on the iPad the icloud Drive and files and saved video. This took a crazy amount of time. (The iCloud Drive is far from perfect, and gives no real update or status on what it is doing).

Now on iCloud Photo Library the movies did not have the name of the file, i.e. date missing. (I did not find out on how to add the date with iMovie in the first place!).

After two hours of searching and testing for some application I found an iOS App from Genady Okrain, that works with Photos and Videos. I took too much effort to find it, but it works. So I went ahead and tipped him $1 and I wish others follow too.

I wish others don't have to spend so much time searching for an app that simply does what one needs, which is modify date/time and location.

The app is clever, i.e. after I selected only a single video and applied some location to it. I thought that I have to repeat the process for each other movie. But alas, there is a search icon and it lists the last one used!!! Time saver again.

Now let's see if I can modify the few hundred files. There will be even more after I found out how to split the 1 hour tapes, that I could not detect scenes into smaller clips.

No comments: