2013-10-27

Apple Annoyances 23Beta-2: How to force iBooks bookmark sync once your online again?


The new iBooks application for Mac OS X is great.

Well, actually all the iBooks applications are great.


No actually that's not true and almost everyone will tell you many things that are wrong with it.

Did someone mention PDF annotations? How about personal document sync? What about some better controls of sorting and displaying additional information, why not include information about other books by the same author etc? Calibre does not have a really great interface nor reader but it's way more pleasant in terms of information on the books it shows and searching and filtering.

(One of the biggies is that Apple must allow at one point to give full access to all data to whatever applications I deem to be worthwhile and therefore let calibre access the same library as iBooks and modify names, categories add metadata etc. This is also true for all calendars, photos, documents etc. But especially for iBooks as no app can access the data in iBooks at all)

All this iCloud sync with whatever applications but not iBooks? How strange is that?

Ok, but the most annoying problem I face is that I want to be able to read a book on my iPhone, iPad and Mac OS X in parallel. Start on the way to work on the iPhone, continue during lunch on the iPad and sometimes in the evening on what device I lay my hands on.

But the iPhone I read on is not connected to the internet while I'm on my way to work and then all the other iBook applications do not get the correct position in the book or the bookmark that I set as a precaution.

I don't get it, I don't understand what's going on and I certainly don't understand how to force an iBooks synchronisation that I think must happen automatically without me doing anything as soon as I have some Internet connectivity. But even now 15 minutes later after I have been in the iBooks application on the iphone which is connected to the internet again and writing this blog entry I don't have the update on the iBooks application on Mac OS X.

This is not right, Apple fix it.

And now, I sometimes try to open the iBooks on the phone then click on library then back into the book, but still does not sync. Sometimes I close the app, then reopen but not always do I see the internet activity icon turning and no sync.

Trying to do that just now again and see if I will find a reliable way to start a sync when my device is back on the internet.

Apple let me down now a couple of times, but this only because one tends to have a habit of ever increasing lust to a more perfect world and then discovers that the reality still hasn't catched up. 

But the review of Mac OS X on 512 px was great and I wish for the future that we will be able to speed up development of all things exponentially.

Apple should include an sync/out of sync information whenever I touch a book and somewhat show the interval at which data is being synced.

I found out now that even when the iPhone is fully connected it can take the Mac OS X iBooks ages to sync. For a sync to happen I only have had a chance (without waiting for some timer to expire) when going back to library (you'll see the internet activity rotating logo) and then closing iBooks on Mac OS X and staring it again. Then I usually got a strange view. The book was at page 1 again and after 10 to 15 seconds it found it's way to the latest page I was viewing on the iPhone also the notes had no page numbers etc. So there's a couple of data points being recalculated. 

No comments: