2014-11-27

27" iMac mid 2010: Hard drive failed, replacing with Crucial mx100 256GB.



A couple of challenges to overcome:

1) Will you be able to do the change?

Yes, really quite easy.

2) What disk will work?

Almost any modern SATA drive.

3) Should I use an SSD?

Definitely, but...

I prefer Crucial m550, mx100 or Samsung Evo and the like.

4) What other things should I know?

Thermal sensor should be shorted.
2.5 to 3.5" bracket for SSD
Bootable Yosemite USB Stick
Enable Trim

Here is the same in a longer form:



1) Will you be able to do the change (27" iMac mid 2010)?

Absolutely. It is even easier than the old white iMac that I had to do before. 

Here is the basic procedure as described by ifixit:


2) What disk will work?

Seems to be easy, any current 3.5 and 2.5" HDD and SDD. 2.5" needs a bracket if you don't want to tape it to the computer as I did.

There are many resources for finding out which one you want based on some criteria.

3) Should I use an SSD?

Definitely as the OS will benefit tremendously, I could not live without it. But then comes the question of size.

Currently 128GB is around $80. 256GB is around $115 to $140. 512GB is around $205 to $250 and 1TB is around $470.

I personally really like the idea of the fusion drive that the new iMacs come with. I have a 500GB big photo library and SSD would be a waste as well as my movie collection.

If I really wanna do movie editing and heavy duty work then I'd always go for a traditional HDD Raid 10 configuration. 

SSD drives come in many flavors and the real heavy duty drives cost to much and you should not use them up to more than something of 75 percent. Do not do constant delete and writes .....

So I would suggest to go for 256GB as the price is right and more than that, i.e. more than 150GB will not be necessary for your basic needs. If you got the money then the 512GB is worthwhile and for those others that really do not want another disk go for 1TB and then replace the computer when that one fails. 

4) What other things should I know?


Thermal sensor should be shorted, i.e. use a short piece of copper cable, twist it, make it a small U-form and then connect into the two sockets from the small connector (see iFixit guide to identify which sensor). Use clear tape to cover it and your good to go.

Don't forget your 2.5" to 3.5" inch bracket for the SSD to mount it.

Create a bootable Yosemite boot stick http://osxdaily.com/2014/10/16/make-os-x-yosemite-boot-install-drive/

Make sure to check for Trim. http://www.mactrast.com/2013/11/enable-trim-ssds-os-x-mavericks/

No comments: