2015-09-12

Office Suites: Office must, iCloud nice, Google worries me *Will be updated*


Office Suites
  1. Microsoft Office suite, including SharePoint 2013 storage and web view/edit - using daily
  2. Apple iCloud Office suite - using sporadically
  3. Google Office suite - almost never
  4. Sharepoint Lists - never again
  5. OpenOffice - not used since ages (since I got my free MS office for MAC)

Background

On daily basis I have to work with some form of Office Suite and yes the only one that I must use is Microsoft Office.

For more than 20 years I fight with the office suites and they still cannot do what I want them to do for me. Store data centrally and use whatever component that handles my requirement best and put all together in a publishing form. Done.

Have you ever tried to do a table in Word, OneNote, Excel and in a SharePoint List and tried to modify it in each program and reimport or link the object?

Daily catastrophe.

If they only would finally come to the year 2015 in terms of what's going around you. But they don't and so in 2015 I only get Office 2016 which will finally allow multiple people working on Excel and not only in SharePoint view. (Ever tried working with 10 people in the Excel web view and a single person changes the filter? Or freeze panes, anyone?)

Some Office Suite details

MS Office 2013 and Sharepoint 2013 are hard to beat, but Sharepoint was still kind a basic and you would need a lot of customization for it to get working as it should.

Biggest problem for me today is that you cannot have multiple lists based on an .xlsx Sheet that multiple people can edit.

Rant Again: Something that I think is a must and I cannot wait any longer that someone finally does central data with modular functionality (almost a daily complaint of mine (Apple almost got it right for some, i.e. allow the same data be accessed by many applications or extensions, that is the killer feature but not completely implemented))

Apple Office Suite is nice and good looking but hard for me to achieve most of the common tasks. And keynote is really bad when it comes to powerpoint file viewing/editing.

Google Office Suite has improved since they have offline usage and implemented a lot of features, but even harder to work with today.

Open Office has not improved that dramatically as it should and still crashes too many times. Not as good as MS Office.

Update 2015-09-25

Purchased an Office 365 Home Subscription for $55, but I paid with my supermarket points!

I did use Office 2011 on Mac and Office 2013 on Windows, but I really am interested in Office 2016 for both and my PC.



No comments: