2013-04-05

Mac OS X: How to get F4 to open Lauchpad on old wireless keyboards, apple makes it very hard for us

I really don't like to install another software to do what the OS is supposed to be doing. So instead of using the 2 links at the bottom which indicate I have to install functionflip and then define what key to use, I prefer the method suggested here by Kentzo.

This is how I had to accomplish it, still to complicated to be of any use:


  • Use the plist editor of choice, which was for me PlistEditPro and choose to open a file.
  • In Finder choose GoTo and enter Library (this should take you to your users Library, otherwise use tilde/Library), then select Preferences


file://localhost/Users/patrick/Library/Preferences/com.apple.symbolichotkeys.plist

  • Drag the file com.apple.symbolichotkeys.plist onto the the open dialog of PlistEditPro, wouldn't let me go to my Library folder.
  • Then look for 160, open it, 
    • change enabled to YES,
    • change parameter 2 to 130
  • Save the file
  • Log out and in again, and voila!!!
Next step is to really get rid of the plist editor, I mean it should be part of the OS no? (a GUI tool, not command line etc).





Here are 2 links that refer to FunctionFlip etc.:


http://www.tuaw.com/2011/07/22/make-your-pre-lion-keyboard-work-with-launchpad/

http://josh-asch.net/2011/07/22/remap-the-dashboard-key-to-launchpad/

No comments: