2013-08-27

iMac 27" 2010: Faster storage? Only USB 2 or Firewire 800, Cheap? How about WD 3TB Firewire 800?

Generally the disk looks good and connects easily.

Top speed is about 70 MB/s solid transfer rate as opposed to the 33 to 39 MB/s that some USB2 drives are capable of. Don't forget that some of the 3.5" drives are 7200 RPM and the 2.5" can be 5400 RPM. The speed they provide is quite solid.

But a 4 year old IBM Thinkpad delivers 55MB/s internally. So USB 2 is still lame.

Now the 1TB internal disk in my iMac is continuously busy with some application and other, so I though it to be wisely to put the 500GB iPhoto library, the iTunes library and the movie collection on the external drive to have some benefit of having the load distributed.

But it does not really work, it's not really worth the trouble.

Well I thought that ultimately I'm going to purchase some Synology or Qnap and benefit from a Raid 10, but that's way over budget. So I bought the WD 3TB Firewire 800 for $175 and though that's not to bad since all the 3TB USB3 disks are around $129. I mean I would like to use USB 3 but my iMac has only got USB2/FW800.

Ok purchased it, did some tests and found out that it provides solid 70MB/s and it looked like an improvement.

But boy it does not help when using iPhoto, iTunes, iMovie or anything with thousands of small files. The transfer rate is absolutely not worth talking about.

I know, I know my business provided laptop has a SSD Drive and it blazingly fast, applications load in 3 to 5 seconds (or at least they did at the beginning), seek time are almost nonexistent as compared to a physical harddrive (also not true), but I cannot affort a brand new Samsung 840 (not even the TLC), way to expensive.

So here I am and pondering what to do next with a tight budget.

Did I mention that I could just outright buy the new iMac 27" for $4000 with the fusion drive or even all SSD (I believe) and the world would be ok? Well not really I think I would spend it on the new MAC Pro with some Raid 10 Lightning Array.

No comments: