2013-08-27

iPhoto, Aperture duplicate picture detection: Found Duplicate Annihilator, ultimately failed!

After my 500GB library with 95'000 pictures merged and Aperture failed to present me the duplicate detection (do not import duplicates section) I was looking on what I can do to avoid going through manually.

The merge took 12 hours and a restore probably would also do that and I still would not have reached my goal of merging all libraries and removing duplicates.

So out I went, tried to read upon what to do next and tried to understand what  the apple script does, then took a look at duplicate cleaner for iPhoto and ultimately bought the duplicate annihilator for iPhoto and Aperture.

While running the iPhoto version against the library it told me it is going to take 4 hours but then later it told me it will take 10 hours but to my horror the family iMac where the library resides goes offline every so often. First Annihilator continued to work and the next morning it was still doing some business. That same day I came home after work and I found iPhoto to be responding but duplicate annihilator did not show any window anymore. I could not get the window back so I killed the process and started it again and it was at point blank!

Now this is very frustrating, but I could try again, this time deactivating PhotoStream as they recommend, but hey I want my PhotoStream activated and still be able to remove duplicates.

On the web I found some other people running into issues with larger libraries, but at this point I think I'm going to do it manually. The good thing is that I'm able to delete events rather than photos, so it should only take me about 10 to 12 hours work and it'll be done.

Shame on me to have purchase the software and never going to have used it properly. What a waste!

No comments: