2007-05-11

Xen 3.0.2 Installation and basic configuration

Everything is still a bit shaky but I managed to get

  • CentOS5 x86 with a Xen Kernel (don't know the exact version #)
  • Created a Domain XenClient and configured a Windows Vista 32-bit VM
  • I did this by using virt-manager, which was as easy as it can get, it even showed me that I did not enable VT in the Bios. (The dc7700 was there for about 5 minutes so I oversaw that setting.)
  • I used a physical CD (Vista Enterprise) and started installation
Funny thing happened,

1) Windows Vista requires a reboot before finishing installation but when I connected to the machine with putty it did not show the domain running.

I had to manually

xm create -f =/etc/xen/XenClient to get it starting again!!!

Don't know why yet and hope it does not do this all the time, maybe it's just a setting that guest reboots don't shutdown the domain.

The next thing is bothersome:

2)
I specified a network adapter and it should be bridged (virt-manager).
When vista is running it is not bridged, and no network is connected (cannot ping).

using xm network-list I did see a network adapter but the mac address has a ?

Then I just tried to xm network-attach XenClient and it added one and this time I see a mac address but it did not help yet.

Well, there's more to it and if I don't spend to much time doing other things I will fix this.

No comments: